Sunday 11 December 2016

HUMAN RIGHTS

Did you know December 10th is Human Rights Day?

Human Rights Day is observed every year on 10 December. It commemorates the day on which, in 1948, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In 1950, the Assembly passed resolution 423 (V), inviting all States and interested organisations to observe 10 December of each year as Human Rights Day. 

But, what are human rights? How many of them do you know? 

You can learn something about them watching these videos: 











According to the videos, human rights are clear and well-defined but, unfortunately, they are not respected in many parts of the world. Can you think of some examples? If you watch or read the news you'll probably can think of many, and not of all them are far away places. Work with a partner and make a list of them, of a list of problems the world is facing at the moment.

These videos are definitely sad and hard to watch, but they show the reality of millions of people every day:









What words can define your feelings or opinion about the situations shown in the videos? Try to think of 3 adjectives.

What can we, as citizens, do to improve this situation? How could human rights be respected in more places? Try put forward 3 ideas?








2 comments:

  1. Andrea Millán Mateos29 December 2016 at 12:15

    If I had to think of three adjectives which express my feelings after having watched these videos, I would say that they are quite tough as they show the hard reality in which that poor children and women are getting by.
    After that, I would add that they are nothing short of dishonest because sadly, it is just what is going on over there and it does seem it is pretty easier to turn these suffers away than lending them a hand.
    And last but not least, I would name it unfair, since the fact that miles of people who are rather surviving instead of living a decent life can't be happening in this developed, well-ambitious and never-have-enough world.


    Still we, as citizens, aren't at all able to change it radically but able to make our contribution there in order to make them realize that human rights can not be disrespected.
    Therefore you may wonder; what do we ought to do if we are so far away from those countries that perhaps they don't even know that we exist? Well, here you have a straightforward answer: by first we do have to care about our own lack of human rights respected and, once we can lead by example, it will be much simpler to understand their situation as well as make use of our experience so as to help them once and for all.


    Despite of the difficulty to succeed in it, just with the mere fact of being aware we are helping; though we should let organizations take the place of pride here. Finally I raise my hand BECAUSE I'M A GIRL AND VERY PROUD ONE!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After watching the four videos I felt a bit disappointed with our world.
    Firstly, I find ridiculous that we can't find out a way to stop all these problems, I mean, since I have been born I've heard about these problems but I ignored them.
    I thought these problems were not really important, because I was a child and I didn't see them where I live, but now that I'm older they really matter to me.
    Also after seeing the videos I felt sad because there is not much I can do to help those people. The suffering of those humans make me feel useless sometimes because I can't really imagine how my live would go in their situation.
    I think that I got to develop my empathy so I would care more about these problems which are the hardest problems in the world.

    As citizens, is quite difficult to us to help them. The most important thing for solve problems there, is that here, where do we live, we solve our problems because even in our country we have problems with human rights.
    Our problems are not really relevant compared to theirs, but if we fix our problems first we will be able to sensitize people about the problems they have in other countries.
    Also, we can go volunteer with some associations to help them and feel their problems, this is the way that a bit of people take and I think it's a good way.
    Also for sensitize more those problems the volunteers or even the people who live those problems should make conferences where they talk about what they have lived.

    ReplyDelete